This week has been so crazy with the weather. Lots and lots of snow. Ace has been very stressed out just trying to get out to his cows. The snow is so deep that they can't get to any feed, except for the rabbit weeds, which make them lose their calves. He thinks at least 6 cows have slinked their calves since he couldn't get to them in time. Their bodies go into starvation mode and some mommas just leave their newborn babies as well. Ace has been taking the backhoe and clearing paths to get the fees trailer in. This kind of weather has not been seen in this area, Jerry says, in about 20 yrs. Therefore, we are not set up in anyway for it. We are quickly trying to compensate though. I got the rest of the baby stuff ready and out this week. I had an appointment in Socorro. The doctor said I was dilated to a two and 50% effaced. "See you on Friday," she said. Well I was at the ballgame in Quemado on Friday so it didn't happen this week, which was a blessing with the weather and how busy Ace has been. Nelda took the kids and I to my appointment and then to Albuquerque. We picked up our ranch truck; the transmission was fixed and ready to be picked up. We also got tires and parts for Ace. Will and Nacona helped a lot getting the truck ready and helping with errands. They are all real life savers. On the way home we picked up to beefs that Nelda and Jerry got butchered. Granny let the kids pick a movie each to watch since they sat in the truck most of the day. They loved it. Ace fixed his backhoe and was glad to get the ranch truck back. Our trucks are so muddy it isn't even funny.
Church was cancelled on Sunday because no one could get in or out. Me enjoying a little time in bed.
Blazen snuggling with mom.
On Sunday we went and followed Ace in the backhoe to get the cows fed. We were in the truck for a solid 9 hours. We did get everything fed, but it was slow going. I got stuck a lot and Ace would have to pull me out to keep going. The kids and I did church in the truck (The Friend, stories, and singing). Then they watched a lot of movies and we played a little. I had to get out and run the feed trailer, some of the snow was piled up to my thighs.
The kids went out several times this week, but only stayed for about 20 min. The snow is hard and deep and their little legs get stuck and their boots get pulled off. We hauled in the play kitchen from the playhouse and set it up in the mudroom. They loved that. We also brought in the bikes and scooters and cars and they zoom around the kitchen. I made a rules chart. The kids thought it was funny. I was SERIOUS. Ace laughed. My mom said I had to many rules and should have stopped at 3. We will see. I think I need to add one. LEAVE THE CUSHIONS ON THE COUCH!!
One day the kids and I were driving home from taking Ace to the Z slash pasture. Denim said, "Mom, you know how one of our rules is -kindness-." Me, "Yes." Denim, "Well sometimes (pause), sometimes you are not very kind to your daughter and you yell." I almost started to argue and tell her that mommy's have different rights, but I knew that that was wrong and in reality I did have opportunity for growth in that area. I said, "Denim, you are right. The rules are not just for you and Blazen, but for all of us. I need to work on being kinder." That put a smile on her face. She said, "Yes, you do." I said, "OK, I will try harder to be kind. We all need to try."
Wow I didn't realize I was going to have to change with my rules. This may be harder than I thought. Maybe I need to drop a few.
Before the game in Quemado, we went and ate at the Largo. Food always taste so good when you are not the one cooking it.
Curtis got here at the end of the week. I was so grateful I could have just kissed him. Ace called him to help with the feeding, so that he can help me when I have the baby. Boy I have sure missed Curtis. He is also so nice to my kids and so reliable.
Denim has been carrying around a potato or two now for a few days. The people in the Largo were guessing why she had a potato. Can you guess? She has been practicing juggling, like Uncle Trujillo. She is pretty good with one. I showed her how you have to go under then up, instead of just back and forth. Her little hands are getting pretty coordinated.
They pass out pom pom's at the game for the kids to cheer. Denim was quite the little cheerleader. It was fun to see people in the community and visit. My kids enjoyed the interaction too.
Cassara was the kindergarten princess. She and Denim are friends. Denim enjoyed watching her give roses all dressed up.
* Blazen uses the F sound for S. Fox=Socks, Fun=Sun. Or he just drops the F like no=Snow. We have been trying to work on his pronunciation. He can make the S sound with effort, but when he says the words, it is harder. I was telling him the stories of when Denim was little and how we had to work on her pronunciation. Like wabbit for rabbit. Both the kids just loved that story. When Blazen found out that Denim had to work at pronouncing he tried harder. He wants sooooo much to be a big boy. He has been trying so hard lately to be independent. He has been going to the potty all by himself this week-no help wiping-good thing they make baths. If he has accidents often he will undress himself and put the bottoms in the dirty clothes. I know he has had an accident because all of the sudden I have a naked bottom running around. Blazen LOVES Dora and Strawberry Shortcake. This sometimes worries Ace, so Ace ordered Batman, Superman, and Spiderman from Netflicks. He loves these too, but nothing replaces the oldies. Ace asked him, "Blazen are you going to marry Strawberry Shortcake." "NO, Dora." He said. I guess she is the favorite. When he went out in the snow this week he just had to wear Denim's Strawberry shortcake hat though.
One night Blazen went to sleep early and Denim wanted a snack. We went to the kitchen and ate yogurt together. She talked my leg off. It was nice to have a special moment with her. This was the conversation. Denim, "Mom, my heart goes beep, beep, when I do things nice (she grasps her heart dramatically) and I feel like (she looks up to heaven) Angels in heaven and the Holy Ghost comes into my heart--like when I give my toys that I don't like to kids with no money, like, (pause) well I like my strawberry shortcake toy and my dolls and this and that ect. ect. (thinking) I guess that my dress that the zipper is broken in I could give away and that would make my heart feel so SWEET--sweet means fills with so much love you know mom. Wouldn't that be nice. And it makes me feel good when you share with me my yogurt and tomorrow we could do something really special after special time like invite the princess and queen (from the homecoming court) and decorate the whole house and put yogurt and water in a bowl and then cook it in the oven and it would taste sooooo yummy." Me, "That sounds great."
Me eating sour cream banana bread, "Denim would you like some of my banana bread." Denim, "No thank you mom. Remember last time I ate it--well, it gave me a headache and I didn't want to tell you because I thought it would hurt your feelings and I didn't want to hurt your feelings, but it did give me a headache." Me, "That's OK, you don't have to eat any and I'm sorry that it gave you a headache." She smiled and hugged me.
My children are my absolute jewels. They are the most precious things that I have. They are what I live my life for. I can see their little souls coming out, growing, teaching me. I want to do what is right and teach them well. Lord please help me to know what is best for them. Give me courage, understanding, and strength. I feel I am here in Pie Town married to Ace for a very important reason. I feel this is where the Lord has placed me to become the best that I can. This is my time, my season, my place. Give me the courage to LOVE these moments given to me and to learn the lessons that I am asked to learn.
One night Blazen went to sleep early and Denim wanted a snack. We went to the kitchen and ate yogurt together. She talked my leg off. It was nice to have a special moment with her. This was the conversation. Denim, "Mom, my heart goes beep, beep, when I do things nice (she grasps her heart dramatically) and I feel like (she looks up to heaven) Angels in heaven and the Holy Ghost comes into my heart--like when I give my toys that I don't like to kids with no money, like, (pause) well I like my strawberry shortcake toy and my dolls and this and that ect. ect. (thinking) I guess that my dress that the zipper is broken in I could give away and that would make my heart feel so SWEET--sweet means fills with so much love you know mom. Wouldn't that be nice. And it makes me feel good when you share with me my yogurt and tomorrow we could do something really special after special time like invite the princess and queen (from the homecoming court) and decorate the whole house and put yogurt and water in a bowl and then cook it in the oven and it would taste sooooo yummy." Me, "That sounds great."
Me eating sour cream banana bread, "Denim would you like some of my banana bread." Denim, "No thank you mom. Remember last time I ate it--well, it gave me a headache and I didn't want to tell you because I thought it would hurt your feelings and I didn't want to hurt your feelings, but it did give me a headache." Me, "That's OK, you don't have to eat any and I'm sorry that it gave you a headache." She smiled and hugged me.
My children are my absolute jewels. They are the most precious things that I have. They are what I live my life for. I can see their little souls coming out, growing, teaching me. I want to do what is right and teach them well. Lord please help me to know what is best for them. Give me courage, understanding, and strength. I feel I am here in Pie Town married to Ace for a very important reason. I feel this is where the Lord has placed me to become the best that I can. This is my time, my season, my place. Give me the courage to LOVE these moments given to me and to learn the lessons that I am asked to learn.




1 comment:
Can't wait to see pictures of the baby!!!!:) Miss you! I read on Syringa's facebook that you had her and things went well.
What a happy time. A brand new little life has joined the McPhaul's! What a wonderful blessing!
Love you lots!:)
Post a Comment