Sunday, January 16, 2011

Phoenix

We went down to Phonix. Right now is there season for citrus. Oranges and grapefruits. The kids and I were in HEAVEN. We found a guy selling fresh oranges on the side of the road. He had a pickup truck and the entire back was full of the most wonderfully smelling oranges ever. We bought SEVERAL bags to bring home and share. We all ate so many oranges that we were sick. They were the best ever. SOOOOOO sweet. My fingernails got tired of peeling them for the kids, then we started slicing them with the pocket knife.

If you were wondering......this is what DELICIOUS looks like.


We were driving into Phonix and on the outskirt we passed cotton fields. Ace has seen them a million times, so he wasn't terribly impressed, but I was. It was so fun. I loved to see the huge white stacks of cotton. They looked just like a big white hay bail. Ace was kind enough to walk out into the field and get me a piece of the cotton.



While we were in Phonix we were able to get the grand tour of a huge dairy. It was really fun for me to see the setup of everything and how it all functions. I loved how they had each pen set up and their rotation system was awesome. Their milk ends up in Bashas, Safeway, and others. One thing that I had never seen was cotton seed. After the cotton crops have been harvested, they feed the seed to their cows. It is a very good supplement as it is a good source of protien. We especially loved it because they stack it WAY high under big sheds and the kids got to have a hay day.



It was like jumping on a bouncy cloud. The kids LOVED it. I think it was better than McDonalds. OK. let me restate. MUCH BETTER than McDonalds. They did flips, summersault, jumped as hard as they could. It was so Awesome!


We were able to visit with friends while down there. We also stayed with the Hoffmans. It was fun to see them. They are growing and busy as ever. Caleb is the bishop of a HUGE ward right now. I respect he and his wife a great deal for all that they sacrifice.

No comments: