The week started off for me really last week. I made a meal plan and got all of the groceries in Socorro. We sure went through the food. I cooked for 11-16 people Mon through Sat. I was very tired of cooking by the end of the week. I cooked turkey, pork roast, beef roast, a ham, smothered burritos, red chili, green chili, different potato dishes, salads, several different desserts, and frozen rolls(I didn't have the energy for homemade rolls). I did a lot of overnight cooking in Nelda's big cooker. Nelda and Tawana helped me by bringing desserts, beans, chili casserole, and extra paper plates throughout the week. I also cooked big breakfasts every morning. I bought several cases of pops, but it turned out so cold that the crew really just wanted to stand by a warm fire and drink coffee or hot chocolate.
On Sunday Ace went to Albuquerque and picked up friends of ours from England, Martin and Amy Collins. We met them when we were living in Reading. They decided to come and help us work cattle this week. Ace made sure to have a few old western films ready from Netflix. They brought us all gifts from England which was very kind. I know that was a special effort. Thank you Louis.
Denim and Blazen taking a break off their horses. It was nice on Monday, so we were able to ride. Good thing we did ride that day because the rest of the week was freezing.
Denim and Blazen waiting at the Seeps Well for the cattle herd to get there. They got whips and tried to go "fishing" in the mud. Shocker-we didn't catch anything, but did have a good time.
This is pretty much what the rest of the week looked like. It was too cold for the kids to ride, but that didn't stop everyone else. Martin took some good pictures or I wouldn't have much of this part to post. The cattle had to be brought in no matter the whether. Brrrrrr.
The kids and I made it out one day to make a snowman. The snow was powdery and didn't pack well, which is why we have such a small snowman. Denim was singing "frosty the snowman" and getting ready for Christmas. Blazen had to wear Denim's old purple snowsuit because I wasn't quite ready for snow.
The kids wanted to sled. I couldn't find our sled, so I found an old piece of plastic and drug them down the hill. They had lots of fun until their pregnant mom gave out.
Amy riding in the snow. I put this picture in because she got lost one of the days. I think it was a bit scary for her. Her horse would have made it back for her, but she wasn't lost for long, so it was all right.
Ace, Amy, Martin.
Blazen, Sassy, and Denim. The day we shipped I was getting cabin fever and just had to get out. I bundled up the kids. Granny was there to help. We took the guys out hot chocolate and coffee. Jerry made everybody a fire on the ground.
Ace weighing his calves before he ships them.
Royal Hopper came and helped us all week. He is working the gate.
Ace loading his calves on the truck with a smile.
Blazen having fun in the little Blizzard because he gets to whip the cows from the outside of the fence as they are running down the alley.
Nate working the alley.
The guys would come in and try to dry their boots by the fire.
On Friday we preg-checked everything. The preg-checker doing his duty. Denim was totally interested. He told her that he had eyes on the tips of his fingers and could see the baby calves. That's a nice way to put it. I asked him if he needed to preg-check me to see if I had one in there. He said, "No, way, you would kick me."
Saturday we got to ride again. Ike came out with his dad. Auntie and Granny helped us. I made a big mistake and slapped Denim's horse, Smurf, on the butt because he kept trying to turn back. He trotted ahead until Denim could pull him up. I was soooo scared and mad at myself for being an idiot. I need to be more cautious with my kids on the horses. They can so easily get scared and hurt.
Ike, Denim, and Blazen climbing a big mound of dirt.
Ike, Denim, and Blazen climbing a big mound of dirt.
Even though we were still working on Halloween, we were able to dress up and go to Datil to the Halloween carnival. Ace came as well and did the family thing. Amy went with us as a witch, but I didn't get a picture. Auntie, as Cruella Devile, Denim and Blazen as dalmatians, and Ike as a superhero. Ike told me he was going to keep the puppies safe. Auntie has wanted to do this theme for a year now. We finally got to do it. The only problem is that Auntie has a really hard time pulling the mean Cruella face.




2 comments:
Timber,
I so love reading this. I love not only seeing the pics. but reading the story behind them. It makes it so much better. I love Blazen in the purple snow suit. It reminds me of the christmas story.
glad all that snow melted!!!!:)
oh! and i love the picture of all the boots lined up in front of the fireplace! :)
Post a Comment